Many couples in California and beyond struggle with fertility issues. As a result, many may want to turn to options that can help them get pregnant. If a woman’s own eggs are not viable, egg donation may be the best option. If you want to help someone in that situation, you might want to consider egg donation.
How does egg donation work?
Egg/sperm/embryo donors and donation are among the great options available to couples who have difficulty conceiving. If you are considering donating your eggs, There is a process you have to go through. It includes the following steps:
- Apply: You can become part of an egg donation program by filling out and submitting an application. You are required to include information about your medical and genetic background, education, personality, interests and physical characteristics. This must be included as recipients often choose donors who are similar to them.
- Medical evaluation: You’ll need a medical evaluation, including blood tests and ultrasounds to check your egg count and hormones.
- Orientation: Attend orientation with a doctor to learn your medical results. The doctor may ask you questions and will explain how donation works.
- Counseling: You may need counseling for a mental evaluation to see if you are emotionally ready to become an egg donor.
- Approval: After you’re medically and psychologically cleared, you are approved for egg donation and entered into a database searchable by individuals looking for egg donors. If your egg is chosen, you can receive payment for it. In some cases, you may get as much as $10,000 for an egg.
Egg donor requirements and qualifications
There are certain criteria for egg/sperm/embryo donors and donation. For egg donation, donors must be in good overall physical and psychological health, have regular menstrual cycles, no family history of genetic disorders, have both ovaries, be between the ages of 21 and 31, have a healthy body mass index or BMI and not be using an IUD or birth control injections. You also must avoid consuming alcohol or drugs for at least two months before applying to become a donor.
If you meet the right requirements and want to help people who are struggling to get pregnant, egg donation can be highly rewarding.