Navigating The Legal Aspects Of International Surrogacy
To intended parents from other countries who are interesting in building families through assisted reproduction technology or surrogacy in the U.S., Fertility & Surrogacy Legal Group, APC of San Diego is here for you. We can guide you through legal, ethical and practical aspects of surrogacy and/or assisted reproduction services in the U.S. and prepare you for your return home with your new baby.
Births through surrogacy and egg donor arrangements have grown in popularity in the U.S. over the last few decades. The number of international clients of American fertility clinics and surrogacy coordination agencies has grown, too. Careful planning can help you avoid legal and logistical problems. Our attorneys can help.
How We Guide International Intended Parents
Our reproductive technology attorneys offer in-depth consultations with intended parents from Europe, Asia and other parts of the world. We can advise you on the legal issues and requirements that you and your baby will face in your home country.
Our services include:
- In-depth education on risks, and options for protecting your rights
- Information about protections for your future child’s well-being through pregnancy, childbirth and the trip with you to your home country
- Surrogacy agreements, including a gestational mother’s lifestyle during pregnancy
- Interpretation of, and help with, legal requirements in the U.S. and international parents’ countries
- Dispute resolution in cases where a surrogate or gestational mother or one or both intended parents change their minds
- Contingency plans covering medical problems of the surrogate mother and/or the baby at any point
- “What if” arrangements to deal with the death or divorce of anyone involved
We understand you may be seeking surrogacy or assisted reproduction services in the U.S. because of different attitudes in your home culture about the definition of a family, the legal status of parent(s) of babies born through surrogacy and assisted technology, a child’s eligibility for citizenship and more. We can help you work through these issues, create agreements and make arrangements for securing your baby’s future. We provide caring, professional advice as we answer questions related to birth certificates, passports and a baby’s legal standing after a birth through a surrogate.
How To Get Started
Potential parents from foreign countries find it helpful to discuss plans with our lawyers. We want to help you make surrogacy and assisted reproductive processes work well for you and your family.